Pages

Tuesday 25 March 2008

The Earth is my Church

Now, there is an interesting phrase. I came across it today whilst surfing the web and I am not gong to try and explain the context - a song title I think, but it sounded an interesting phrase! To me it could form an interesting discussion starter, t-shirt design, or meditation point. Is the Earth a place for Christian worship? Is there a community of 'persons' (human/non-human) who worship the Divine together? Is the Earth a place where I feel in touch with the Christian sacrements?
[Sacrement (as I can never remember the definition - thanks Wikipedia: In Western Christian belief and practice, a sacrament is a rite, instituted by Christ, that mediates grace, constituting a sacred mystery. .... The most conventional functional definition of a sacrament is that it is an outward sign, instituted by Christ, that conveys an inward, spiritual grace through Christ. The two most widely accepted sacraments are Baptism and the Eucharist...]


It could probbaly be read at many different levels - the whole earth community of Christians (arrghh - how is it that even that phrase seems to alienate vast swathes of people and cause me iritation?) to a very animistic and pagan thought that the earth in my garden that I care for is part of my being and has a reciprocating spiritual appreciation.

Wah! I can't cope, and yet it seems an exhillerating thought!

No comments: